Rachael Ray saves the day when my hungry football players came home soaking wet from the rain. Luckily my friend with a green thumb brought me a huge butternut squash from her garden in Pennsylvania That butternut squash crossed state lines just for this night, thanks Barb! This squash was massive! I didn't even know what it was when she gave it to me, but what a great healthy gift it was. Recently I watched an episode of the Rachael Ray Show and she amazed me with her "stoup" skills so I just had to give this Spicy Butternut and Vegetable "Stoup" a try. Of course I put my own take on it by leaving out the chutney and adding yogurt, sugar and tomato paste. Thanks Ray Ray, rock on!
Sunday, August 23, 2015
This weeks fashion challenge was given by Professionista Kelli. She killed it today by paring a bold, colbolt blue dress with sassy stripes. Did you see those pumps? That's how to work an elevator. How will you meet this weeks challenge? Instagram your outfit and place the #swwc so we can celebrate with you!
Thursday, August 20, 2015
Finding time to fellowship with fellow coworkers is always fun. Check out the fun time we had at the Lincoln Restaurant in Washington, DC. I had the Shrimp and Kale Salad. The food is super fresh and plates like art. There are modern Lincoln paintings everywhere, the floor is covered in pennies and there is even a oversize chair, like at the Lincoln Memorial. This restaurant is so nostalgic, I love it! I love it almost as much as I loved Professionista Kellis fabulous outfit. Get it Kelli, you are #soworkweekchic!
Restaurant week is one of the funnest weeks in Washington, DC! I can't think of a better time to have fun with friends or your loved one without breaking the bank. This year you can get a 3 course meal during Restaurant Week (RW) during lunch for $22 or dinner $35 at DC, Maryland and Virginia's most expensive restaurants. You can miss out on this deal!
This week I had an opportunity to meet up and talk with friends over lunch for restaurant week and our excellent choice was Acadiana. Acadiana is Chef Jeff Tunk's contemporary take on a Louisiana fish house was named one of "100 Very Best Restaurants" in DC by the Washingtonian. Acadiana also serves brunch. We enjoyed the watermelon salad and the roasted corn and crab soup appetizers, for an entree we had skirt steak, jambalaya, seafood gumbo and for dessert we had cherry bread and pudding and smokes cake. How divine and right on budget! A few tips to keep in mind during restaurant to keep it affordable and fun:
- Stick to the RW Menu: The best part of the deal is that most restaurants will have some of their top dishes available. Most entrees normally cost the total amount of the RW bill. So be adventurous and try something different then your norm. This is the time to have fun. If you go off script, you will have to pay full price.
- Watch out for up charges- Most items are included in the standard price however some restaurants will have a few items, generally listed on the RW menu, where they will charge you extra for so seafood or high-end selections. If you are on a budget, watch out for them.
- Drinks equal dollars- Mixed drinks in DC can get pricey and could cost as much as your RW meal so look and ask about any drink deals. Keep it simple or go for a draft, they generally are pretty reasonable and you can still have a good time.
- Check for extensions- Certain places like 2941 in Virginia have extended times and dates for RW. So if you want to miss the crowds, then schedule a time through open table that is a bit earlier or later.
Get This Look:
Top: Calvin Klien (similar)
Purse: Thrift Shop (similar)
Sunday, August 9, 2015
Are you trying to pop up your black and white look this season? Then I challenge you to follow Professionista Kelli's lead and add a bit of red. You won't be the only one doing it either. Looking fabulous is contagious! Instagram your looks and add hashtag #swwc, so we can see them!
Sunday, August 2, 2015
You can't beat the visibility of a classic pinstipe shirt. I have worn it with floral and under layers. It always provides the perfect level of interest to any outfit. A pins striped shirt is definitely a career smart essential. It was a relaxed day at the office so I decided to pull out this comfortable classic piece. Here are 3 tips to dress up this boyfriend inspired piece before you step out the door:
- Pump it Up- Adding pumps like these from Just Fab. Pumps will give you some height and dress up any jean look.
- Don't Forget the Bling- Just because you are going Casual doesn't mean you should forget the style factor. Add in quality pieces like this Michael Kors Astor Rose Toned Buckle Bangle and Blair Pave' Rose Toned Watch.
- Make it Pop- The blue and white pinstripe can be pretty neural so add a bold clutch to make your outfit pop and give it the wow factor.
I want to see how you dress up your pinstripe, so instagram your looks and add the hashtag #swwc or #soworkweekchic so we can sing your praises and be inspired!