Recently I received a question from a local Professionista who wrote in and asked me if it was ok to wear skinnies to work? Ten years ago I would have probably told her no, but since business casual has started to become the norm for most American workplaces and more than half of employers participate in “Casual Friday” in one fashion or another, so I say yes, skinnies are now work appropriate if worn the right way. Skinnies are a bit tighter and more form fitting, so if you are thinking of which ones to select, I would recommend that you stick to a dark wash denim and steer away from jeggings. The challenge is to style your skinnies in a way that still keeps you looking professional. You want people at work to walk away saying “Wow, that was a great point she made” not “ Wow, Baby Got Back!” So next time you are dressing for Casual Friday use these tips to wear skinnies at work without sacrificing style or professionalism:
- Wear skinnies with a long jacket or cardigan : The long cardigan are a great alternative to jackets or sweaters and give you great hip coverage. You can wear it with an untucked blouse and dress it up with accessories.
- With a button up and a Sweater: This look is perfect for those team meeting is the cold conference room. It is layered, casual yet pulled together.
(1.Real Simple 2. Banana Republic)
- With a tailored blazer: If your offices is one the more conservative to start then you will want to dress up your jeans so you still look pulled together and professional. Opt for a blazer in plaid or pattern to spice your look up a little.
- With a cropped sweater or jacket: A good sweater jacket has a similar feel to tweed so you can be comfortable pairing this look with a great pair of dark denim jeans when presenting next week’s goals to your team.
- Wear the right shoes: You want to create a nice long leg line while still looking polished, so try some cute flats, a loafers or a black pump.
- Wear the right accessories: You can never go wrong with a delicate or statement necklace, a belt that pops, a simple earring or ring and a nice watch or bangles bracelets.